Yesterday, it occurred to me to post a list of some of my favorite horror movies here.
Here they are, in no particular order:
- Martin (1977) - A unique variation on the traditional vampire story written and directed by George Romero.
- Dawn of the Dead/Day of the Dead (1978/1985) - Although Night of the Living Dead is great, these two movies are my favorites of Romero's zombie films.
- Re-Animator (1985) - One of Stuart Gordon's best films, with a good feel for the humor/horror combination that dates back to the days of James Whale.
- The Pit and the Pendulum (1991) - Fine direction by Gordon and a memorable performance courtesy of Lance Henrickson.
- House of Wax (1953) - Any fan of Vincent Price will enjoy this one while getting to see one of Charles Bronson's earliest film roles as a bonus.
- Phantasm (1979) - One of the most original horror movies I've ever seen.
- The Hills Have Eyes/The Last House on the Left (1977/1972) - Two great early films from Wes Craven.
- The Thing (1982) - One of Rob Bottin's first projects, and his effects from it still creep me out.
- The Exorcist (1973) - I generally enjoy William Friedkin's work as a director, but this movie may be one of the best efforts of his entire career.
- Shaun of the Dead (2004) - A hilarious take on the ol' zombie horde.
- Evil Dead II (1987) - From the days when Sam Raimi was making good movies.